Family of six tragically killed, just trying to survive

It’s a tragic reminder, whenever I hear the news about another family found dead in their home from carbon monoxide poisoning resulting from an electric generator left running inside the home, to not leave a generator running inside your home.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless killer making you feel drowsy and putting you to sleep before finishing you off by depriving your body of oxygen.

Like the Quasarano family of six from Michigan who met their fate one evening returning home to find a home saturated with poisonous gasses from a generator left running in the cellar for hours in 2016.

They came home one Friday night after a church function to discover power had been interrupted resulting from a wind storm.

Leonard Quasarano (the father) told neighbors he was going to fire up the generator.

That fateful Friday was the last time anyone would see the Quasarano’s alive.

Now the reason I’m bringing this topic to life is because of a recent discussion I was reading about how to muffle home generators because I was alarmed with some of the suggestions people made about keeping a muffled generator running in the cellar to prevent neighbors or passersby’s from knowing you have power during an emergency survival situation.

In fact, recently one of my neighbors, where I live kept a generator complete with exterior exhaust setup in his cellar, should he need to run it during a storm to maintain power or whathaveyou.

But here’s the trick, this guy is very handy and experienced with plumbing airconditioning and electrical work, so knows a thing or two or three about safe mechanical installations and the need for adequate ventilation.

Most people don’t.

The good/not so good thing about an inadequate exhaust is if it causes back pressure on the engine relying on it the engine chokes itself off.

The scary part of an inadequate exhaust system is its inadequacy may be that it leaks fumes into areas they shouldn’t be, like inside your home.

Fortunately, nothing bad happened to my neighbor and family with his system, but then again, I don’t think he ever had to use it.

They have since moved.

I have a generator in my cellar, but wouldn’t even consider running it down there with anything short of a professional-grade and engineer spec. exhaust system.

It’s not worth the risk.

And certainly not without an active smoke/CO2 detection units installed.

Daddy doesn’t mess around.

And speaking of generators, I wrote about how to properly size a generator for your home (from and electricians perspective, I am an electrician…) in my Survivalite Companion Newsletter.

All you need to do is sign up to my email list to get my emails of useful tips, tricks, and products to help ensure your family’s survival, and I’ll send you a FREE digital copy of Survivalite Companion Newsletter for you to keep.

In fact, as long as ur a subscriber to my list I’ll keep sending you the newsletter, Free.

Get details at the link, here: www.AbeYankee.com

Yours true,

“uncle” Abe Yankee

 

 

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.